Our Fave Looks from The Met Gala 2015
It's been a year since that ominous bust-up in the lift between Beyonce's sister Solange and long-term husband and music mogul, Jay Z. The Met Gala doesn't just bring us celebrity gossip and historical moments but immense dresses and makeup looks to gawp at...
What actually IS The Met Gala?
The Met Gala isn't a music award ceremony, oh no, it's short for 'The Costume Institute Gala' also known as The Met Ball. It's an annual fundraising event for a-listers and the filthy rich and it marks the grand opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institution based in New York. Basically it holds an annual fashion exhibit and every year the celebrities and stars come out to celebrate the theme and tone of the display.
At first glance, some outfit choices may be seen taken as a little risuqe, if not crazy - but if you see the themes of each art exhibit, it'll all make sense and Alexa Chung will go from looking like she doesn't fit in at all to OH MY SHE GOT IT RIGHT ON POINT.
Here are the previous years of themes for The Met Gala...
- 2008: Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy (May 7 –September 1, 2008)
- 2009: The Model As Muse: Embodying Fashion (May 6 –August 9, 2009)
- 2010: American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity (May 5 –August 10, 2010)
- 2011: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (May 4 –August 7, 2011)
- 2012: Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations (May 10 –August 19, 2012)
- 2013: Punk: Chaos to Couture (May 9 –August 14, 2013)
- 2014: Charles James: Beyond Fashion (May 8 –August 10, 2014)
- 2015: China: Through the Looking Glass (May 7 – August 16, 2015)
So obviously this year we expected to see China personified; flowers, patterns and delicacy - and that's exactly what we got!
Sarah Jessica Parker in the street wearing this - crazy, Sarah Jessica Parker wearing this to honour the Chinese fashion exhibit: Perfection!
Amal Clooney nails it. A classic colour with the ultimate detail.
If you've got it flaunt it, Jenny from the Block dares to bare...
Anne Hathaway really plays the part touching on the ultimate Geisha-style hood and fabric to match.
David Beckham is just... David Beckham.. ♥
Rita Ora touches on the Chinese exhibit theme for the Met Gala 2015 using the ultimate iconography of Chinese-style: The ribbons, the pattern, the subtle design with the huge impact, the neat-back hairstyle and the classic red lips. Here's a girl that understands the dress code.